Food hygiene; An overlooked practice
Updated: Jul 24
At the time when the entire world is busy washing their hands properly, the voice of food hygiene seems to remain low.
How many of us can deny the fact that food hygiene needs to be to the order of the day? With pandemic at its peak, every citizen must follow certain norms before intake of food.
This article treasures the importance of food hygiene and the dos and don'ts related to the same. So, without further ado, let's crack the code:
Food hygiene refers mainly to the practices that prevent microbial contamination of food at all points along the chain from farm to table.
The overall purpose of food hygiene is to prepare and provide safe food and consequently contribute to a healthy and productive society.
Below are the "five keys to safer food" which we developed to educate safe food handling behavior to all consumers and food handlers.
• Keep clean.
• Separate raw and cooking.
• Cook thoroughly.
• Keep food at a safe temperature.
• Use safe water and raw materials.
Source: World health organization (W.H.O)
One must teach the rules mentioned above and make it a new normal.
Astonishing statistics states that each year,1 in 10 people succumb to illness by eating unsafe food lending weight to the argument in favor of it.
With an estimated 600 million cases of food borne diseases annually almost 1 in 10 people fall I'll after eating contaminated food safety is an increasing threat to human health.
Alarm bells have rung and so the time has come to eradicate the roots of every disease. Lack of adequate food hygiene can lead to food Bourne diseases and the death of the consumer.
1. Prevent food spoilage and changes that make food unfit for consumption due to microbial or chemical contamination.
2. Inform and educate people about simple and practical methods of keeping food safe to protect themselves against food Bourne diseases.
3. Protect food from deterioration. (intentional contamination).
4. Ensure proper practice in tge food trade to prevent the sale of food that is offensive or defective in value and quality.
Food hygiene guidelines:
• Wash hands before and after handling food.
• Encourage "customer" to wash hands before eating.
• Do not "sneeze" or cough on food.
• Do not sneeze or eat in any kitchen areas.
• Wear clean clothes.
The above rules and guidelines rolled out for food hygiene are extremely important to execute in our lives for a healthier world.
To highlight the importance of food safety,United Nation General Assembly in December 2018 passed a resolution to celebrate "World Food Safety Day" on 7June under a particular theme every year.
Food safety is a key to achieving several United Nation Sustainable Development Goal. It stands as a shared responsibility between government producers and consumers.
To make this initiative successful, everyone has to play a pivotal role from farm to table to ensure the food we consume is safe and will not cause damages to our health.
Please don't make any mistake or else illness is smart enough to make its way. Hence, Spread the word.