Depression: Let's Talk
Updated: Jul 24, 2020
Why is it that two people suffering from depression sitting next to each other are hesitant to open up about their thoughts and ideas? Why is it that depression in our society is stigmatized as an excuse? Is this the society we are going to pass to the generation next?
The reason why I chose to prelude with questions is the astonishing figures which studies represent. Of all,1 person commits suicide every 40 seconds all over the world.
Yes, these statistics might raise myriad of eyebrows but does not have the capacity to answer the question of capital 'D'.
Depression needs to be a dining table talk if we really want to make a happier society. It has got no face. We live in a society where competition seems to be the only key to success.
Still, unfortunately, it is the negative thoughts racing uninvitingly in our minds, which wins the race.
Below are some of the symptoms which can help to identify people suffering from depression.
1. Long-lasting sadness.
2. Extremely high and low mood.
3. Excessive fear, worry, or anxiety.
4. Social withdrawal.
5. Dramatic changes in eating or sleeping habits.
Negative thoughts are like weeds in the farmyard, which needs to be eradicated from the roots.
Give a look at the following points stated below to unplug your mind from pessimism and swiftly move to optimism, which will allow the mind to heal with time.
• Track gratitude and achievements with a journal. Maintain a dairy and include 3 great things you achieved in due course of the day and 3 things you are grateful for in your life.
• Start your day with a cup of coffee. Psychologists believe that intaking coffee in the morning can boost mental health.
Must find ways to support others.Believe it or not extending a helping hand towards a needful person can do a lot good in bringing happiness in your life.
Care for a pet: Adopting a domestic pet can help develop your emotional quotient which can cater a life which you have painted in your life. Sometimes animals can create a greater impact in one's life than a human.
Enjoy company of people who give warmthness in your life.Jell along with them cheerfully.
• Always show gratitude towards someone who has unconditionally loved you in your life.
• As Albert Einstein stated, "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." Always remember to accept your mistakes rather than being hard on yourself.
• Take 30 minutes out of your busy schedule and promenade in nature around greenery.
In the words of Martin Luther King."You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step".
Always remember that your first step towards positive change will allow you to reach the top of the stairs, metaphorically happiness.
The time has come to lend ears and give respect to each word uttered by the narrator.
"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside of you"
- Maya Angelou.