8 Confucius proposition that will root out negativism from your life in 2020
Updated: Jul 22
By- Srijita Pathak
Negativity has become so deep-rooted among humans resulting in skepticism and the inability to spot the ‘silver lining’. Most of you might have tried various ways to eradicate negativity from your lives, sometimes certain measures work sometimes they don’t, so why should you read another article about obliterating ‘negativity’?
This article will not only introduce you to an ancient culture but also provide you with certain simple ‘everyday life’ practices which can be imbibed in order to reduce despondency, cynicism and bleakness.
Confucianism is a system of social and ethical philosophy, built on ancient religious foundation to establish social values, institutions and transcendent ideas of traditional Chinese society.
It was often defined by sociologists as ‘civil religion’ or ‘diffused religion’ and was a part of the Chinese social fabric and way of life. These age-old customs provide a definitive way of life in order to minimize all sorts of negative influence from the grass-root level.
This culture or school of thought never had a rigid or specialized church or priest system, keeping the idea flexible for the individual. It preached values of kindness and aimed at promoting a better ‘way of life’.
What are the certain principles of this culture which can help ‘us’ in leading a better and positive life?
(1) Confucianism deals with the act of living together and promotes communal harmony. It emphasizes upon the idea of ‘unity’ and pays importance to having good human relationships with the people around us.
Responsibilities towards the society
(2) The realization and understanding of one’s duties and responsibilities towards society in order to become a responsible citizen and ‘give back’ to the society. This helps in developing a positive attitude towards our society and societal practices.
Power of knowledge
(3) It also highlights upon the importance on ‘knowing’ and the power of knowledge. It aims at in dependence when it comes to feeding our curiosities and learning more about what happens around us. This is dependent on the idea that, when we ‘know’ we can be calmer and have better peace of mind.
(4) This culture also emphasizes on having an open and flexible mind. Reduction of rigidity and being open to new ideas and value systems also helps in breeding positivity in our lives.
(5) Confucianism focuses heavily on parenthood, brotherhood and friendship, and such things must be valued heavily in order to attain peace of mind. It pays a lot of importance to family values and the ‘idea’ of being together with your near ones.
(6) This culture also talks about developing yourself and helping the ones in need rather than blaming ourselves for our own failures.
Principles for a better life
(7) Confucianism follows 5 sub principles:
Li-the social rituals to be followed in the society.
Ren-the act of humaneness and kindness to others.
Shu-which talks about the act of Reciprocity and Empathy.
Yi-the art of conscience.
Xiao-respect the elderly and experienced.
(8) Holistic Development
He also embraced his ideas for a greater good of the society. From personal and governmental morality to correctness of social relationships, justice, kindness, and sincerity, His ideals continue to influence the world even at his absence.
All of the above-mentioned policies provide a layout for a healthy lifestyle and help us by teaching the basic principles of life.
This culture provides us with the basic ideals which can help develop a positive attitude towards life and eradicated all sorts of negativity.
It teaches us with certain basic principles for a better quality of life.
To know more about related topics